Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Washington Deserves a Finger

Remember those discussions you used to have with your friends as a youngster? Who is the sickest X-Men, whose 8 ball slammer could take the most pogs in one drop, who was the hottest Golden Girl, or my favorite; if your hand was a drink dispenser, what flavor would you put on your five fingers? When you were 10 it was something like chocolate milk and Hi C from Mcdonalds, apple juice, orange juice and sprite.. Then as an 18 year old it was Coors light, Miller light, Bud light, Smirnoff Ice, and water (for the hangover bro). Extremely lame but true.


As not serious as that discussion was and still is, I'd still like to think my list has evolved into something I can be proud of. If I really could have five drinks at my convenience that could be consumed through my thumb, index, middle, ring and pinky, what would I pick? My fingers would definitely contain two red Burgundies (Chambolle and Morey with the climate undecided. Chill out, I'm not taking it that serious), a Washington state red (probably a syrah), Grolsch (dutch beer) and Manny's Pale Ale (Georgetown Brewing Company). 


I choose to leave the H2O out of the fingers because the French taught me that drinking water is for babies and you save the hydration for the day time. Grown ups drink beer and wine at night. But anywho, I truly believe Washington wines belong on my list because it is that damn good. Living in France, my appreciation for Washington grew tenfold after realizing that it does compete on the international scale. I stand by that and it's only a matter of time before Walla Walla and Columbia Valley are recognized as true world class wine regions (people are aware, but many books and experts save a massive two sentences or a paragraph for Washington when others get pages and chapters...BS!)


Tomorrow (6/21), I am running a tasting event showcasing not only wines that come from Washington state, but are from producers that are located within a mile of Two Tartes Cafe. Fall Line Winery and Bartholomew Winery will help me prove just how unique Washington truly is. Where else in the world where you can present high quality Tempranillo, a right bank Bordeaux style blend (Cab Franc, Merlot, and Cab Sauvingnon blended together), Aligote and a dry Riesling all grown in the same wine growning region? Please show me another region where you can do this that isn't in located the great state of Washington?


I think it's important to understand what is produced locally in your own backyard before you start venturing out across this vast world of wines. It's the right thing to do because if you are from Seattle or Washington state, you are supporting local businesses on top of discovering top notch wines. Drink more Washington, I guarantee one will end up as your middle finger or thumb for your next weird ass discussion.


Like Two Tartes Cafe and Catering on Facebook for all the news that's fit to print on the weekly events that are occurring at the Alcove at Two Tartes!

1 comment:

  1. Particularly cool post! Can I find these wines in France? My fingers aren't working...

    ReplyDelete